14 years ago today I had the honor of becoming a Detroit Firefighter. I have been privileged to experience things most people never will.
To those who haven’t, I wish you could experience:
- the excitement of doing a job you love.
- the joy of helping someone in need.
- the self-confidence that facing down your fears gives.
- the sense of accomplishment of finishing a particularly challenging job.
- the high of rescue someone from certain death.
- how easy it is to forget stupid grudges when you have a daily reminder of how fragile life is.
- the joy and laughter that firehouses are filled with.
- being part of a family as large and loving as the Detroit Fire Department.
- the pride of being a Detroit Firefighter.
Happy Anniversary Class of 01-25-99!