Today in DFD history – January 9, 1978
Engine House No. 11 was placed on the National Register of Historical Sites.
Engine House No.11, located at Gratiot & Grandy was built in 1883, and is currently the oldest engine house in the city. It was designed by architects Gascione & Sons and built by A. Abrecht & Marlow Brothers. The original hose tower was shortened during World War II to accommodate the installation on an air raid siren.
Companies were put in service on January 1st, 1884. The original equipment, a Silsby steam engine and a hose reel cart were both horse-drawn. In October 1916 a gasoline propelled Seagrave engine replace the horse-drawn equipment.
For all but the first 2 years of it’s use by fire companies a member of the De Caussin family ran at Engine House 11. Four generations of the family, served here from 1886 through 1972.
In 1972 fire companies were moved to new quarters. The building continued to by used by an EMS unit until 1976.
In 1977, after restorations by the department, Box 42 Associates and other volunteers the house became a museum to house items dating back to volunteer days of the “Old Fire Department”. The museum was closed in 1991. In May 2001 Engine House No. 11 was purchase by the Phoenix Organization of the Detroit Fire Department.
Have you visited Engine House No.11 since it was closed?
Is it currently being used by the Phoenix? Please leave a comment below.
Get more history and links to all our postings in our Archieves page.