Today in DFD history – April 17, 1920
The Detroit Fire Department Band was organized by Captain Anthony Delesie, Glenn Middleditch, Otto Klatt (all of Rescue 1), and a fourth unidentified man from another fire company. Their first public appearance was marching in the Armistice Day Parade.
By 1926 the band had grown to 44 men. For three years the band gave concerts on WJR radio. They were very popular and drew thousands of fan letters from throughout the country.
One of the biggest honor the band received came in 1926 when they were selected to escort John Phillip Sousa from the train depot to Orchestra Hall. Sousa highly praised the band on it’s fine appearance and playing ability.
In addition to the larger band, a few small groups were also formed. In 1958 Bob Engel and his Five Alarms was formed to play dance music at mixed retirement parties. (A mixed party is a party that includes spouses, stag party would be limited to department members). This group was still active in 1977, although Bob Engel had retired by that time. It is not clear how long after 77 they disbanded.
In 1964 a German Band was formed to play at stag parties and civic events. Eventually the group was renamed the Red Shirt Band, and as of 1977 was still active. Again it is uncertain when they stopped playing together.
This clip, from the movie BURN, features the band on Memorial Day 2011.
The band is still active today, playing at civic affairs, parades, memorial day services, Firemen’s Field Days, and has the sad duty of playing at members funerals. It is open to both department members and civilians. There is an open invitation for anyone interested to join them in carrying on this great tradition.
NOTE: The band’s most recent director, Chief Richard Hartsfield passed away last week. As is only fitting, the band will be performing at his funeral later this week.
What is your have a favorite memory of the band?