Detroit voters overwhelmingly approve the “Firemen’s 24 Hour Amendment” which amended the city charter to set new working hours for Detroit Firefighters. the election also determined many state and local positions, including Governor and Detroit Mayor, as well as allowing women the right to vote in Michigan.
Prior to the 24 Hour Amendment firefighters were on duty 72 hours, then off duty 24 hours. The amendment created a 24 hours on duty 24 hours off duty schedule, the 2 unit system we have today.
The move to shorten working hours came in part because the department had become increasingly motorized (instead of horse drawn apparatus). Motorized vehicles could effectively cover more ground than horses and the population of Detroit had skyrocketed in the 10 years since motorization began. That meant that Detroit Firefighters were fighting far more fires than ever before, but the number of fire companies had not increased proportionately.
The new schedule was not immediately implemented as the department was dangerously low on manpower. At the time there were 255 Detroit Firefighters in WWI military service. The ranks also dwindled as department members left the fire service for higher paying factory jobs with better working conditions. Top that off with the deaths and severe illness caused by the growing Spanish flu epidemic and the department was running with nearly 1/3 fewer men than they required.
After the vote, firefighters continued to work their previous schedule, but were paid overtime for the extra hours, until manpower was brought up to a level where the 2 unit system could be implemented.
Today in Detroit Fire History – June 3, 1951
On June 3, 1951 the department was advertising for new fire fighters.
Applicants had to be between 5’8″ and 6’2″ tall and weigh between 140 and 190 pounds.
June 3, 1951 advertisement
Pay for a newly hired firefighter was $3,413. A full paid man made $4,127. For comparison, the average household income was $3,515. The average cost of a new house was $9,000, a new car $1,500.
A pay increase of $250 to $286 would go into effect on July 1st, the beginning of the city’s fiscal year.
Today in Detroit Fire History – March 16, 1922
Ladder 22 was officially placed in service after a brief 10 am ceremony at their quarters. Fire Commissioner Murphy, Chief Timothy E. Callahan and Battalion Chief William Higby attended the ceremony. The company was in command of Captain Frank Malicke. Shortly after noon, Ladder 22 received their first alarm to a small fire on Hartford Avenue.
Their newly built fire house, located on Martin & McGraw Avenues, was among the first Detroit fire stations to be built without stables. It was built at the end of the horse drawn steam pumper era of the Detroit Fire Department. The last running of Detroit’s fire horses would take place less than a month after the opening of this station
Pipeman Otto Habermas , Engine 27, died from injuries he sustained while fighting a fire in a store building at on West Fort Street early in the morning of January 31, 1915.
Otto was manning a hose at the top of a ladder, directing a stream through a window. A drizzling rain was falling, freezing as it hit. The ladder’s rungs quickly coated with ice. A sudden change in water pressure made the hose jump to one side. Otto swayed to counterbalance the hose, but lost his grip and footing due to the ice.
Otto fell, head first, onto a concrete sidewalk. When his fellow firemen reached him he was unconscious. He was taken to the Solvay hospital by fire department motor car. Otto never regained consciousness. He died at 9 am, with his wife at his bedside.
Pipeman Habermas had been a member of the Detroit Fire Department for three years.
He was 24 years old. He left behind his wife Kate, to whom he had been married only 11 days. Prior to his death, the newly married couple had planned a small party celebrating their marriage. It was scheduled to take place the day after Otto died.
Funeral arrangements for Detroit Firefighter Kevin Ramsey are as follows:
Kevin V. Ramsey
Active Firefighter – Tactical Mobile Squad 3
Lived: 08-28-1966 to 07-29-2017
Served: 07-19-1999 to 07-29-2017
Continue Reading »
Detroit Fire Department History – May 10, 1937
More than 5,000,000 gallons of water was pumped into a five-story brick building at 23 W. Jefferson before this 5-alarm fire was brought under control. The fire started around 4 am at the Advance Glove Manufacturing Company, on the building’s second floor. Fueled by the large bales of cotton the glove makers used, the fire quickly extended to the upper floors of the building.
More than 25 pieces of fire apparatus responded to the fire. By 9:30 am a section of the building’s roof had caved in.
While fighting this stubborn fire, Pipeman Ray C. DeRosia, Engine 30, was injured when he speared his leg with a piece of equipment used to help support hose lines. He was treated by the department doctor at Fire Department Headquarters. Several other firemen suffered minor cuts and bruises but remained on duty.
The first floor of the building housed the David J. Knopman Company a wholesale luggage dealer, General Tobacco and Grocery Company and the Harris Linen Company. The companies had considerable damage from the tons of water that poured in from overhead.
Firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading to the adjoining Traymore Hotel, where over 100 guests were roused from their beds due to the fire. The Traymore did have minor damages due to smoke and water.
Detroit Fire Department History – March 1, 1958
The department discontinued wakeful night watches. A new system called the Silent Watch System went into effect. Use of running boards to track which companies were in or out of service was also discontinued.
Prior to the Silent Watch System a man stood wakeful night watch. From midnight to 6:30 am the man on watch listened for alarms punched out on the Gamewell system. The system punched out box numbers for every alarm that was dispatched throughout the city and the status of every fire company was kept up to date on the station’s running board.
When an alarm came in the man on watch was responsible for determining if his company was due on the alarm. If their company was due he would activate the house bell to wake the other firefighters and turning on station lights.
With the Silent Watch System first alarms would only be received in firehouses that are due on the alarm. The dispatcher pushes an alert button that wakes the man on watch and tells him an alarm is coming in. All second alarms and higher were still sounded via the “big bells” in all stations.
Chief of Department Ed Blohm, who was scheduled to retire in June of 1958, did not like the new system, but went along with it. He said “It doesn’t look right. Imagine a citizen dashing up to turn in an alarm and there is Julius, snoozing.”
Dan Delegato, Detroit Firefighters’ Association (union) President said “The most sought after working condition since the inception of this association has been the elimination of the wakeful night watch.” (NOTE: The Detroit Firefighters’ Association was chartered on May 8, 1933)
The Association hailed this step as removing one of the most tedious chores connected with the work of a Detroit firefighter.
Today in Detroit Fire history – January 1978
The department began a program to replace the traditional swing-out doors on Detroit fire stations’ apparatus bays. New overhead roll up doors were put in place.
Engine 51’s quarters with one traditional swing-out door (right) and one overhead roll-up door (left). Engine 51’s quarters is located on Livernois at Curtis.
Engine 49’s station on Grand River and Manor was one of the first stations to receive the new doors.
A majority of Detroit’s fire stations were built when fire rigs were much smaller. As technology evolved fire apparatus got bigger. The doors were changed in order to provide more clearance for the larger modern day rigs. They also provided additional security to fire stations that had experienced several break in while firefighters were out of the station responding to emergencies.
At 9:16 pm Thursday, December 7, 1905 Engine 27 was called to respond to an alarm from Box 46.
Lt. Michael J. Sheahan leapt towards the firehouse pole at Engine 27’s quarters (located at Junction and Rogers) to slide from the 2nd floor dormitory to the apparatus bay. Losing his grip Sheahan fell through the pole hole and plunged 15 feet to the floor below. He landed on his head fracturing his skull. Lt. Sheahan was taken to Red Cross Hospital in very serious condition.
At 6 am on the morning of December 8, 1905 Michael died from his injuries. His wife and son were by his side. Out of respect for Lt. Sheahan all the flags on Detroit’s firehouses were placed at half-staff.
Michael joined the fire department on October 1, 1889. He was promoted to Lieutenant November 11 1897. Lt. Sheahan had been transferred to Engine 27 just 2 months before his death.
Michael James Sheahan was 49 years old. He left behind his wife of 14 years Alice, his 9 year old daughter Violet and 7 year old son Stephen.
On December 11, 1905 Lt. Michael J. Sheahan was buried by the department at Mt. Elliott Cemetery in Detroit.
Shortly before 3:00 am on Sunday, July 12, 1942 a fire was reported at Lewis Artist Supply Company, 6408 Woodward Avenue near Baltimore Street. The initial companies on scene found the fire difficult to fight due to the intense heat generated by the paint and other supplies within the store.
Detroit Firefighter Stanley Hausch. Killed in the line of duty, July 12, 1942.
Additional fire companies were called as the fire began spreading to other business along Woodward and Baltimore. It eventually went to a 4th alarm with a total of 17 fire companies and the Chief of Department Alexander Thompson responding.
Continue Reading »